Around 1000 healthcare and medical students who have volunteered during the Covid-19 pandemic are to receive a voucher for a local business, thanks to a donation of £27,500 by Santander, through Santander Universities.
The aim is to reward students’ courageous efforts, and at the same time put money back into the economy and help local businesses stay afloat.
Santander Universities is a partner of Swansea University on a range of initiatives, including the popular bike hire scheme across the city.
Over 1000 students from the University Medical School and the College of Human and Health Sciences volunteered to help health service colleagues:
- Final year medical students were inducted as doctors after the General Medical Council offered early provisional registration
- 662 nursing students were placed within the health boards
- The entire third year of the University’s midwifery degree assisted qualified midwives
- At least 101 paramedic students signed up to work with the Welsh Ambulance Service.
The donation allows students to select a gift voucher, worth £24.50, for any one of six local businesses:
- The Gower Coffee Company
- Arthur Neave Café and Deli
- Fulton House Outfitters
- Joe’s Ice Cream
- Natur Cymru Organic Skincare
- Castell Howell
Their voucher will be delivered to them inside a bespoke greeting card designed by That Mum Moment, to thank them for their heroic efforts